What LSAT and GPA numbers do you need to get into Columbia Law School?
Columbia Law School is generally considered to be one of the best law schools in the country. In 2011, Columbia was ranked #4 in the country by US News. Accordingly, you can expect the admissions process to be highly-competitive.
To be a competitive applicant at Columbia Law School, you are probably going to need an LSAT score in the 172+ range and an undergraduate GPA in the 3.7+ range.
These LSAT and GPA numbers for Columbia Law School Class of 2014 can help give you an idea what you need to get in:
LSAT Score to get into Columbia
- The 25th percentile LSAT Score at Columbia is 170
- The Average LSAT Score at Columbia is 171
- The Median LSAT Score at Columbia is 172
- The 75th percentile LSAT Score at Columbia is 175
GPA to get into Columbia
- The 25th percentile undergrad GPA at Columbia is 3.60
- The Average undergrad GPA at Columbia is 3.70
- The Median undergrad GPA at Columbia is 3.72
- The 75th percentile undergrad GPA at Columbia is 3.82
However, a low GPA or LSAT score doesn’t necessarily preclude you from admission to Columbia Law School. According to Columbia:
There is no minimum undergraduate GPA or LSAT score in the consideration process for admission to Columbia Law School. For the 2011 entering class, the median undergraduate GPA was 3.72 and the median LSAT score was 172. Although academic achievements and performance on the LSAT are clearly relevant to the selection process, we strongly emphasize that admission to the Law School is based on a variety of quantitative and qualitative factors contained in your application, not solely on either grades or test scores.
In reviewing applications to Columbia, no weights or relative levels of importance are assigned to any one specific criterion for admission. Indeed, the Admissions Committee takes the entire application into consideration to arrive at a final admissions decision. While strong LSAT scores may certainly indicate strength in one’s application, the Committee considers the academic record, along with the other personal and biographical information in the file, most carefully.
In any case, applying early will help maximize your chances of being admitted to Columbia. Columbia began accepting applications on September 1, 2011. The early decision application deadline is November 15, 2011 and the application deadline for regular admission at Columbia is February 15, 2011.
Other Recommended Reading:
- How I got a 177 on the LSAT
- How to Get Into the Top Law Schools (via Amazon)
- The Law School Admission Game: Play Like an Expert (via Amazon)